[Gllug] memory usage in linux

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Wed Aug 28 07:49:47 UTC 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Pavel Bradut Boghita wrote:

> This is my first posting on this list so greetings to you all.
Hi Pavel! Greetings to you from Ireland.
> I have been using linux for over a year, but only recently started to learn
Great! That's what it is all about.

 By running 'top' I've noticed that a great
> deal of memory is being used. I had 128 M of memory and the system was using
> most of it. Now I have 384 and 226 is being used. I understand that this is
I think what you are seing is the disk buffers.
Linux uses unused memory as disk buffers - this usage grows,
and you apparently use up very much memory.
But don't worry - this is not a bad thing, and the memory wil be freed
when it is needed.
Look at the manual pages for the commands "free" and "vmstat" to
learn more.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk