[Gllug] Hardware recommendation, esp. SANs and shared storage

Simon Trimmer simon at urbanmyth.org
Fri Aug 9 11:37:38 UTC 2002

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Tethys wrote:
> >>. All I want it is a proper serial console. I shouldn't need an extra
> >>card, drivers and windows software for that :-(
> >
> >What do you mean by "a proper serial console"?
>
> One that works before the OS is loaded. So I can change the boot order
> in the BIOS, mess around with other BIOS settings, and ideally power
> cycle the machine. Apparently some Intel server boards have this, but
> if you're paying for those, then x86 has lost its price advantage over
> saner alternatives.
>
> Tet

Yep! Some BIOSes have serial console redirection but that doesn't go far
enough for me...the ideal would have it's own network port (running character
and web interfaces), change BIOS nvram settings on a running system for the
next reboot, POST code retrieval, read the hardware log and reset the box.

The weasel card is almost there (serial rather than network), but it just
doesn't work for me :(

-Simon
Simon Trimmer <simon at urbanmyth.org>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk