[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Dec 12 13:38:04 UTC 2002

Allen Wayne writes:

>I don't want to buy a adsl router as I don't want to loose control to
>a bit of kit.... I have SUSE running as my FW at present and I think
>I am going to learn more using that than buying a box...even if it
>does mean I make mistakes.

Nothing about an ADSL router means givign up control. Mine acts as a
pure passthrough router. No filtering, no firewalling, no NAT, nothing.
I have a separate firewall box box for that, precisely so that I can
retain the control in an environment (OpenBSD) that I trust.

My setup thus looks like this:

 | Internet |----->| ADSL router |----->| Firewall |----->| Switch |

The rest of my network is connected to the switch.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk