[Gllug] pppd and connection sharing

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Tue Dec 24 12:03:56 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 25 December 2002 00:38, Jonathan Harker wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> A simple thing, really. I have looked in the HOWTOs and man pages, googled,
> fiddled with netconf and drakconf and torn hair from head when it broke,
> twiddled in /etc/ppp/options and tore more out when that broke too, but
> unfortunately I can't make head or tail of it, I don't have a PhD in
> networking, and I am now partly bald. Or perhaps I was before I started and
> just didn't notice.
>
> I have two machines, my Mandrake 9 box and a windows box, hooked up with a
> crossover cable. That bit works fine, as ping, samba etc. works nicely. (If
> you need to know, I have mandrake = 192.168.0.101 on eth0, windows = .0.1,
> default gateway = .0.101, DNS = .0.101... do I need to point the DNS to my
> linux box?).

You don't need to, but you can - if you do, then the Linux box will need to be
running a caching name service daemon (er, ncsd, I think...) If you don't,
then the Win box will need to know the /external/ dns server IP's. the
gateway setting will then deal with getting that connection out. btw - have
you tried a ping from the Win box to an external site (like your ISP dns or
mail server (via its IP address?)

> All I want to do is have my Mandrake box dial up the internet on demand on
> its farty 56K modem whenever it or the windows box requests stuff.

That's handled by diald, but I've never used that...

hth
Dylan

--
"Sweet moderation