[Gllug] pppd and connection sharing

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Dec 24 12:31:21 UTC 2002

Dylan wrote:
> On Wednesday 25 December 2002 00:38, Jonathan Harker wrote:
>
>>Dear all,
>>
>>A simple thing, really. I have looked in the HOWTOs and man pages, googled,
>>fiddled with netconf and drakconf and torn hair from head when it broke,
>>twiddled in /etc/ppp/options and tore more out when that broke too, but
>>unfortunately I can't make head or tail of it, I don't have a PhD in
>>networking, and I am now partly bald. Or perhaps I was before I started and
>>just didn't notice.
>>
>>I have two machines, my Mandrake 9 box and a windows box, hooked up with a
>>crossover cable. That bit works fine, as ping, samba etc. works nicely. (If
>>you need to know, I have mandrake = 192.168.0.101 on eth0, windows = .0.1,
>>default gateway = .0.101, DNS = .0.101... do I need to point the DNS to my
>>linux box?).
>

> You don't need to, but you can - if you do, then the Linux box will need to be
> running a caching name service daemon (er, ncsd, I think...) If you don't,
> then the Win box will need to know the /external/ dns server IP's. the
> gateway setting will then deal with getting that connection out. btw - have
> you tried a ping from the Win box to an external site (like your ISP dns or
> mail server (via its IP address?)
>

>>All I want to do is have my Mandrake box dial up the internet on demand on
>>its farty 56K modem whenever it or the windows box requests stuff.
>

> That's handled by diald, but I've never used that...

pppd can also do this

I used this a while ago

how far do you get - does the connection get made ?

do you get an IP address ?

I called pppd as below

some details depend on whether you are using chat or chap

I found the amount of documentation avialable overwhelming.

my advice : keep it simple - try one thing at a time and look at the
logs (make them verbose)

demand idle 600 is the magic bit (idle 600 hangs up after 10 minutes
inactivity)

get it working without this first.

I found my system kept connecting when I didn't expect it to - lots of
things try the network - for me this was Ok as I had an unmetered connection

/usr/sbin/pppd demand idle 600 call demon

/etc/ppp/peers/demon

I had this...

/dev/ttyS2              # modem is connected to /dev/cua0
57600           # run the serial port at 38400 baud
crtscts         # use hardware flow control
noauth          # don't require the ISP to authenticate itself
defaultroute    # use the ISP as our default route
# -v for full logging
#connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-demon'
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-demon'

#If there are any other pppd options that should apply when calling
#this ISP, they can also be placed in this file.
#The /etc/ppp/chat-isp file named in the last line contains the script
#for chat(8) to use to dial the ISP

# Begin /etc/ppp/peers/demon

/dev/ttyS2              # modem is connected to /dev/cua0
57600           # run the serial port at 38400 baud
crtscts         # use hardware flow control
noauth          # don't require the ISP to authenticate itself
defaultroute    # use the ISP as our default route
# -v for full logging
#connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-demon'
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -f /etc/ppp/chat-demon'

#If there are any other pppd options that should apply when calling
#this ISP, they can also be placed in this file.
#The /etc/ppp/chat-isp file named in the last line contains the script
#for chat(8) to use to dial the ISP

# End /etc/ppp/peers/demon

# Begin /etc/ppp/chat-demon

ABORT "NO CARRIER"