[Gllug] Hi all

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Dec 22 05:01:03 UTC 2002

[Hey Tom, I think we talked on irc last week.  I may have been using the
nick Widget or pdr]

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 03:54, Tom Taylor wrote:
> > I've just signed up to this mailing list,
>
> Saying that, I havn't really introduced myself either, and I've been on this
> list for a couple of weeks now :-)

A warm welcome to both of you then (not that I'm exactly an old-timer
here either).

> "Hi, my name's Tom, and I'm an addict" :-)

Ha!  Quoting from 'Hackers'? :)

> I've tried many dirstos, and have settled with Debian.

Shhh.. Don't say that too loud, you may start something.

> > This you see was the first time I attempted to build my own PC! Do'h
>
> Me too

It's a lot more difficult than it used to be I reckon - too many
different types of mobo, ram, slot this and socket that, then you have
to try and evaluate price/performance, e.g. with new graphics cards, is
8x worth the price for the 5 or 10% extra performance when you're
already running all your games at 200f/s?  And *then* you have to find
out whether it will all work with linux.

> > Anyhow like many people I'm currently out of work.
> > Does anyone know of a company hiring Linuxy people (I pray I won't have
> > to accept a Windoze job!)
>
> Me too (although I my knowledge of Linux isn't all that great compared to
> most in here)

Wish I could help.  If you have access to a Solaris machine, learning
its nuances may be a good avenue for employment - it seems it's quite
popular again with leeches, er, I mean recruitment agents.  It's quite
similar to Linux (with all the GNU utils from sunfreeware installed) so
it should be easy to apply any knowledge both ways.  Actually, does
anyone know if you can still get x86 Slowaris for free for home use?

> > & when does everyone meet up to have beer?
>
> I'd be interested in meeting up for beer more than just once a month also.

I think someone else has mentioned it recently here but you should sign
up to the Lonix list.  It's a lot of the same people from this list, but
the only traffic is pub meet announcements.  And make sure you're on
gllug-announce and pay attention there for gllug meets which usually
include a few beers post-formalities.

Pete

--
Pete Ryland