[Gllug] Debian install from a SCSI CD-R drive

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Sun Dec 29 13:30:55 UTC 2002

On Sun 29 Dec rich at annexia.org wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I was doing before. I just couldn't believe that
> apt didn't update the kernel automatically (it does everything else!).
> I'll have to have a look at the apt config as suggested by John Hearns.

AFAIK apt & friends will quite happily upgrade your kernel, if there is
a new version of the currently installed kernel package (which doesn't
happen too often).

It's not going to 'upgrade' you from 2.2 to 2.4 though, if that is what
you were expecting?

The distributed modular kernels are fine for most purposes, and I'd
suggest sticking with an appropriate flavour of one of these if it works
for you.

The debian make-kpkg scripts are good, especially if you are running
lots of patches, additional modules and other random cruft.  I do on
some machines, and it's useful for ensuring you build everything and
install everything together.

doug.

--
Ceçi n'est pas une cuillère
key 1024D/6973E2CF print 2C95 66AD 1596 37D2 41FC 609F 76C0 A4EC 6973 E2CF