[Gllug] Help me to deal with a UK spammer

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 11 21:38:12 UTC 2002

Jason Clifford wrote:
> I've been getting SPAM from Pampers (yes the baby product company) for
> several months now.
>
> I've emailed them and phoned them to complain but all that happens is that
> I get more spam.
>
> Well they've kindly included an 0800 phone number for everyone to contact
> them on so I'd like to encourage people to do so - often. Please call
> Pampers on the number below and explain to them why SPAM is a bad thing:
>
> 0800 036 4040
>
> Jason Clifford

You could always make it a little more difficult to find their valid

for mail in `ls /dev`; do echo 'Thanks you for the offer of Low cost
waste disposal units; however I do not buy anything from unsolicited
calls or emails.  This is not unsolicited commercial mail, just a polite
but firm no thank you responding to a relationship initiated by
you.'|mail -s "Thanks for the offer of some Pampers"
responseemailaddy at spammer.com; sleep 1; done &tail -f
/var/log/exim/exim_mainlog

This will only generate about 8,000 emails dependent of course upon the
contents of the /dev directory.

Without the sleep you can really do some good stress testing of your
box.  I have managed to generate prolonged load values of 600-700.

Have fun.

Xander
--
QOTD:
	The only easy way to tell a hamster from a gerbil is that the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk