[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 11:43:02 UTC 2002

On 12/12/02 11:10, "Allen Wayne" <Wayne.Allen at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> having finaly begun to admit that I want ADSL at home, what ADSL modem do
> people reccomend? The idea is vto purchas my own and then probably join
> plusnet or demon.
>
> Any comments advice??? Current home network runs via SUSE 8 and a 56K modem

Hi Wayne,

Good choice, although I would HIGHLY recommend going for cable instead of
ADSL! I've been with PlusNet for two months now and had about a weeks outage
so far ;( Nothing compared to the downtimes I had with BT last year though.

I recommend PlusNet over everyone else for actually providing a human
customer support service that is (a) fast and (b) useful!

After spending a while considering a suitable modem, I found a good one at
www.solwise.co.uk -> SAR703. It's cheap (c 70 including next-day delivery,
VAT, etc), reliable (been up 100% since I pluged it in) and sports a dedcent
firewall, DHCP router and NAT.

PS: If you go for PlusNet please write 'asegebrecht' into the referral field
=D MTIA

Axel

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk