[Gllug] GNOME Disk Activity

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Thu Dec 12 13:26:47 UTC 2002

Sudhir Anand wrote:
> Since you want to indulge in word play, I am quite happy to reply.  I have
> been using Linux for a while now and used both KDE and Gonome.  The fact is
> that on my Pc and  my experience, KDE has performed satisfactorily and been
> a transparent tool in hepling me achieve my objectives.  On Gnome, however,
> I was struggling with the environment/windows manager or whatever you want
> to call it.  I spent more time resolving Gnome issues then getting on with
> my work.  My experience is based on facts as experienced by me.  I have
> installed Linux on close to ten Pc's at home, both desktops and laptops.  I
> know this is not a huge number but in my experience KDE has worked better by
> far than Gnome.  Therefore based on my experiences I formed an opinion.
>
> I must admit that a lot of people on this list indulge in narrow word play.
>
> On confidence, nothing said by anyone will dent my confidence or opinion.
>
> I attended the User Group meeting on December 7.  The presentation on Gnome
> was in my opinion very poor and did nothing to inspire confidence in using
> it as my enviroment / windows front end / [take your pick].  If the rest of
> you found otherwise, then you are like me entitled to your opinion.
>
> My other gripe is on what I consider to be personal insults, for which there
> is no need and to which I am sensitive.  Being an immigrant I have got used
> to racial and other insults hurled at me on the streets.  I would like to
> make clear that I am NOT accusing anyone here of using racial abuse.

"The use of `troll' in either sense is a live metaphor that readily
produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not
infrequently sees the warning "Do not feed the troll" as part of a
followup to troll postings. "

quoted from ... http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/jargon/html/entry/troll.html

Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk