[Gllug] ADSL (and DHCP) woes

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Tue Dec 31 12:23:50 UTC 2002

Ian Northeast <ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Chris, I have never used this modem or indeed ADSL, but if it is working
> in Windows it should not be hard in NetBSD. It should just be a matter
> of getting the DHCP client configured. I assume that NetBSD is using the
> same ISC dhclient program as the OpenBSD system I use with my cable
> modem. I would expect the requirements to be similar.

Yes, Net uses the same ISC DHCP suite as OpenBSD.

> You say that your networking setup looks completely different in NetBSD.
> Exactly how does it differ? And what does your dhclient.conf actually
> look like? Mine is very simple i.e.:
>
> initial-interval 1;
> send host-name "firewall";
> request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, routers;
>
> and I think sending my hostname is irrelevant. With this setup I am not
> requesting nameservers, as I run my own. If you want DNS information
> from the DHCP server you should add "domain-name-servers" and possibly
> "domain-name" to the request list.

That's pretty much what my dhclient.conf looks like, except I go with all the default timings (no initial-interval), and I also send my domain name.

> What messages does dhclient issue? On my system they are in
> /var/log/daemon but this may be different in NetBSD; of course you can
> always explicitly request a lease with "dhclient <interface>" to get the
> messages directly. Mine looks like (on renewel; on the initial request
> there is a broadcast first):
>
> Dec 30 17:04:36 firewall dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on ep0 to 10.0.116.71
> port 67
> Dec 30 17:04:36 firewall dhclient: DHCPACK from 10.0.116.71
> Dec 30 17:04:37 firewall dhclient: bound to 80.0.70.57 -- renewal in
> 302400 seco
> nds.
>
> So in my case the DHCP server itself has a private address but is giving
> me my real ISP assigned one, which seems to accord with your situation.

The messages look OK, I get given the first available address in the non-assigned 192.168.*.* class. As the modem is 192.168.0.1 I invariably get given 192.168.0.2. This is what's odd, as the Windows machine gets given the ISP assigned address. I tried manually setting the gateway to 192.168.0.1, but no joy.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk