[Gllug] ADSL (and DHCP) woes

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Tue Dec 31 12:18:54 UTC 2002

Matthew Thompson <matt at actuality.co.uk> wrote:

> The flying sperm - I remember it well.

It was affectionately known as "The Frog" round here. Not sure why.

> It appears that this is simply a modem with an ethernet interface - not
> a router. As such it is a single device only option - to share the
> connection you'll need to have one device plugged into it which can
> then share the connection - either a "Broadband gateway" or one of your
> machines with a second network interface.

I want to use my NetBSD machine as a firewall, so I've chucked an extra NIC into it. What I can't understand is why the Windows machine gets the ISP assigned address from the modem, while the NetBSD machine gets a non-assigned address (192.168.0.2).

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk