[Gllug] Handling a new twist by spammers

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Mon Dec 9 13:47:18 UTC 2002

On 9 Dec 2002, John Winters wrote:

> > It's not new and it's not a (deliberate) DoS.
> >
> > ISPs have been seeing this for a long time.
>
> Thank you.  I do feel a mechanism is needed whereby the future ability
> to breed of these bozos would be significantly impaired.

I know a few people who have set up a partly effective defense:

Set up another MX entry in your DNS with the lowest MX value and have it
point to an IP that will always resolve to be local to the sender (ie
127.0.0.1).

This is only going to be of use to those who absolutely know that one of
the correct MX servers will always be available however it does seem to
catch most of the spam directed at secondary MX servers as they always use
the lowest value MX record to inject their junk.

So long as you have a valid MX available you should never loose real
email.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk