[Gllug] Certification?

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Dec 8 07:12:37 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 06:41:37AM +0000, Xander D Harkness wrote:
> As a straight question, is there really that much that is different?

Just installation, which can be quite difficult on some hardware.  And
perhaps (from a sysadmin POV) fixing minor porting bugs when compiling
stuff, like byte-order and sizeof(int) bugs, but then that is more the
resposibility of the distribution developers I guess.  Maybe they should get
a special certificate of their own... :)

> To solve a problem with authentication or X would you not look at the logs
> to work out what the problem is?
>
> Pam, X, IPtables, ftpserver work the same and would have the same problems
> on all platforms.
>
> Even loading extra modules to support different hardware I would expect to
> work similarly in different hardware.

Yeah, you're right... should be identical.

Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk