[Gllug] Multiple X servers

Pankaj Mathur pmathur at softhome.net
Sun Dec 22 09:08:49 UTC 2002

hi,
this is what I do on my machine (RH 7.3) :

If one session of "X" is already running then

1) press CTRL + ALT + F2 - this will give you a shell prompt.
2) Login as another user on this prompt
3) after successful login type " startx -- :1" and "X" will fire up for second
user.

To go back for first "X" session press "CTRL + ALT + F6" and to go from first
"X" session to second "X" session press "CTRL + ALT + F7".

In short
F1 - F6 are six virtual consoles (by default)
and F7 - F12 are six virtual consoles for "X"

thus "X" that you start from F1 is loaded on F6 and so on

to start "X" from F1 (on F6) type : startx

to start "X" from F2 (on F7) type : startx -- :1

to start "X" from F3 (on F8) type : startx -- :2 and so on....

read "man startx" and it will make more sense ;-)

I am not sure if it is possible to have more than six sessions simultaneously
and of  course there are smarter ways besides what I just mentioned.
HTH
Pankaj