[Gllug] pppd and connection sharing

Jonathan Harker jonathanharker at paradise.net.nz
Wed Dec 25 00:38:53 UTC 2002

Dear all,

A simple thing, really. I have looked in the HOWTOs and man pages, googled,
fiddled with netconf and drakconf and torn hair from head when it broke,
twiddled in /etc/ppp/options and tore more out when that broke too, but
unfortunately I can't make head or tail of it, I don't have a PhD in
networking, and I am now partly bald. Or perhaps I was before I started and
just didn't notice.

I have two machines, my Mandrake 9 box and a windows box, hooked up with a
crossover cable. That bit works fine, as ping, samba etc. works nicely. (If
you need to know, I have mandrake = 192.168.0.101 on eth0, windows = .0.1,
default gateway = .0.101, DNS = .0.101... do I need to point the DNS to my
linux box?).

All I want to do is have my Mandrake box dial up the internet on demand on its
farty 56K modem whenever it or the windows box requests stuff.

After fiddling in the dark with drakconf one night (the internet connection
sharing wizard), it suddenly worked. Something about dhcpd. But now it
doesn't again, and I could only get meaningful internet connections on the
mdk box by launching the kppp from drakconf as root (the normal kppp as me
didn't appear to route properly).

Anyway, considering that I don't really know what I'm doing, and pretending
that I can start again, how do I get both machines browsing, with ppp0 going
up and down on demand? simply putting demand in the /etc/ppp/options didn't
work (exit 2)

AAAARGH

Merry Christmas,
Luv Jon