[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Fri Dec 13 15:58:43 UTC 2002

On Thursday, Dec 12, 2002, at 19:11 Europe/London, Sudhir Anand wrote:

> Do you know where C# fits in?  Is it similar to C++?  I understand
> that it is
> C++ without pointer concept.  Does anyone know if there are plans for
> a Open
> Source compiler and IDE for C#?

C# is similar to Java in that it's generally compiled down to byte
code, and it sits somewhere between Java and C++ in terms of the
implemented features a capabilities. Open Source C# compiler? Not that
interested, but check out the mono project. If you're running Win32,
BSD or OS X then you can also use MS' own Shared Source CLI (SSCLI)
too. As for an IDE? Eclipse will probably support it at some point.

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk