[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 15 18:09:03 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Sudhir Anand uttered the following:
> Do you know where C# fits in?  Is it similar to C++?  I understand that it is
> C++ without pointer concept.

C# has generic pointers (under a different name), just as Java has; all
it lacks is pointer arithmetic (and hence any in-language concept of
iterators; they have to be bolted on in the libraries just as in Java).

C#, like Java, lacks templates, so is drastically different from C++
(much simpler, sure, but IMHO much less expressive).

IMNSHO it's just another example of MS's overweening NIH syndrome.

--
`One could imagine the Known Net as a conversation between a sentient
 Ford Motor Company, the New Zealand government, Eric Raymond, and a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk