[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Dec 11 17:48:43 UTC 2002

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com writes:

>So I think you'll find that it's the quality of your Java programmers
>that is the issue

Depsite the normal digs at each other between the development and
sysadmin depts, even I have to admit that we have some pretty good
Java coders. A few of them could (IMHO) do with having a little
more exposure to other languages, but in the main, they're pretty
good.

>I hated C   with a passion for years, until I learned how to use the STL.

Yes, the STL is IMHO one of the few redeeming features of C++. BTW, the
"++" in your messages seems to be being converted to spaces somewhere
along the line.

>Perhaps you might see the underlying beauty of Java, and an ability
>to ignore its warts with a little more exposure.

Quite possibly. But I just wish Sun hadn't made so much of a political
issue out of it. It got off to a bad start with its hideous CaMelCasE
naming conventions, but lots of other things share that particular
affliction (Win32, Xlib, etc.) But Java is one of the few areas where
I find myself agreeing with JWZ:

	http://www.jwz.org/doc/java.html

My main beef with Java, though, isn't so much the language itself, but
with the attitude of most Java programmers I encounter. There seems to
be a huge "if it's not Java, it's crap and needs rewriting in Java to
bring it into the 21st Century" sentiment. I'd much rather the Java
community made more use of JNI to utilise the huge quantities of
pre-existing libraries of Useful Stuff(tm). But they don't seem to
want to do that. Oh, and Java RMI is the most bizarrely implemented
RPC-like mechanism I've ever come across...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk