[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Wed Dec 11 19:18:27 UTC 2002

Tethys wrote:
> chris.wareham at btopenworld.com writes:
>

>>So I think you'll find that it's the quality of your Java programmers
>>that is the issue
>

> Depsite the normal digs at each other between the development and
> sysadmin depts, even I have to admit that we have some pretty good
> Java coders. A few of them could (IMHO) do with having a little
> more exposure to other languages, but in the main, they're pretty
> good.
>

>>I hated C   with a passion for years, until I learned how to use the STL.
>

> Yes, the STL is IMHO one of the few redeeming features of C++. BTW, the
> "++" in your messages seems to be being converted to spaces somewhere
> along the line.
>

>>Perhaps you might see the underlying beauty of Java, and an ability
>>to ignore its warts with a little more exposure.
>

> Quite possibly. But I just wish Sun hadn't made so much of a political
> issue out of it. It got off to a bad start with its hideous CaMelCasE

I've recently read a couple of (fairly uninformative) articles on the
Register about Java being open-sourced. (Does anyone know any more on this?)

I know there are open source implementations of Java - but they are in
my limited experience woefully out of date and incompatible with respect
to Suns offerings.

Java is really held back by its license - it isn't bundled with Linux !

Also - surely Java is slow mostly because of the JVM - but gcc can
compile Java to native binaries - so if it could do this well wouldn't
you have the advantages of the Java language without the overhead of the
JVM ?

I just love the strictness of Java - C++ scares me with the randomness
that occurs when I make odd erros that would throw a complier error in Java.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk