[Gllug] bash prompt

Paul Roberts sakar at stelo.uklinux.net
Mon Dec 2 14:39:34 UTC 2002

Hi,

SteveC <steve at fractalus.com> writes:

> I installed gentoo 1.4 and asked this on the [rather quiet] mailing list
> without respons... the bash profile works fine from console login or ssh
> but xterm gives a nice 'sh-2.04a$' prompt.

Bash only reads the 'profile' when its started as a login shell. If
you start it interactively as a non login shell (which is what xterm
does), then it will read the file '$HOME/.bashrc' instead.

,----[ man bash ]
| When an interactive shell that is not a login shell is started, bash
| reads and executes commands from ~/.bashrc, if that file exists.  This
| may be inhibited by using the --norc option.  The --rcfile file option
| will force bash to read and execute commands from file instead of
| ~/.bashrc.
`----

I guess the reason for this, is so that the profile can contain stuff
that you only want to run once per login, such as certain background
tasks.

Hope this helps, - Paul

--
GPG fingerprint:                Esperanto parolata
0CB2 9210 3066 B41D 3422  AB6F 78F8 189E FD05 90CE

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk