[Gllug] SuSE, firewall, BT broadband and IP

Sudhir Anand anand_sudhir at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 23:50:46 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 10 December 2002 22:41, Anders Odgaard wrote:
<snip>

> My local home network (over eth0) has hosts with IP addresses 127.0.0.1,
> 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. I have no idea why I used these addresses
> when first setting up the home network.

IP address 127.0.0.1 is an internal loopback address (not entirely sure what
this means!).  I am not an expert on networking but no network card should be
assigned with an IP address of 127.0.0.1.

> Does anyone have a suggestion why the firewall shuts down the
> connection?
> Do I have a conflict with my local network?
> Has anyone successfully set connected to BT broadband using the Voyager
> modem?

I am using SuSE 8.0 with a dial-up modem.  If the firewall is running before
the connection is made and assuming your are using SuSE's firewall , the
following steps should be carried out:

1) Make a dial-up connection,
2) Stop SuSE firewall,
3) Restart the firewall.

The internet connection then works fine, otherwise the firewall blocks all
connections.

From an earlier posting on this site, SuSEfirewall2 is based on iptables which
do not exist until the connection is established.  Excuse the vagueness here
as I do not understand this concept fully.

Would a similar set of steps help?  I do not have broadband and am not
familiar with ADSL modems.  If there is an always on connection on your PC,
the firewall might be activated before the internet connection is
established.  If this is the case, it might be a case of stopping and
re-starting the firewall.  PLEASE NOTE that I am not sure of the facts in
this case and perhaps another more experienced user might be of more
assistance ot confirm this.

Regards.

Sudhir Anand
Andson