[Gllug] SuSE, firewall, BT broadband and IP

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Wed Dec 11 11:25:43 UTC 2002

> On Tuesday 10 December 2002 22:41, Anders Odgaard wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > My local home network (over eth0) has hosts with IP addresses 127.0.0.1,
> > 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2. I have no idea why I used these addresses
> > when first setting up the home network.
>
> IP address 127.0.0.1 is an internal loopback address (not entirely sure what
> this means!).

Nothing really complex. It's the IP address assigned to localhost, so that
processes that use IP protocols can communicate locally.

  I am not an expert on networking but no network card should be
> assigned with an IP address of 127.0.0.1.
>
> > Does anyone have a suggestion why the firewall shuts down the
> > connection?
> > Do I have a conflict with my local network?
> > Has anyone successfully set connected to BT broadband using the Voyager
> > modem?
>
> I am using SuSE 8.0 with a dial-up modem.  If the firewall is running before
> the connection is made and assuming your are using SuSE's firewall , the
> following steps should be carried out:
>
> 1) Make a dial-up connection,
> 2) Stop SuSE firewall,
> 3) Restart the firewall.
>
> The internet connection then works fine, otherwise the firewall blocks all
> connections.

Rather badly designed if that's the case.
IP address of the outside world should be irrelevant as far as the firewall
is concerned. The only thing that matters is which interface does what.

ppp0=external interface
eth0=internal
So anything coming in from ppp0 that's unrelated to external traffic should
be blocked while anything coming from eth0 should be accepted (and possibly
masqueraded and sent out to ppp0).

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk