[Gllug] Setting up a dialup for a friend

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Sun Dec 29 21:32:58 UTC 2002

On Sun, 29 Dec 2002, Chris Bell wrote:

>    I am trying to set up a single dialup box for friends, users would be
> husband, wife, and three children, ISP probably the free waitrose.com
> facility. I am trying to decide whether to set up 5 separate accounts, but
> have not yet found information about doing this on a single box. Any
> suggestions please? Thanks.

I would suggest going for an ISP that offers sufficient email aliases or
separate POP3 accounts so that each person can have a unique email
address.

Then it's a simple matter of choosing how to handle the email locally.
Assuming you are running Linux then an account for each person on the box
provides the required separation.

Run a simple MTA setup locally (using fetchmail to download the email and
pass it to the MTA for delivery) that runs in deferred mode and a small
script in the dialup routine that sends email when you connect (and
preferably also tells the MTA to process email every x minutes while
online).

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk