[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Dec 11 15:29:44 UTC 2002

Mike Brodbelt writes:

>Is there any actual reason why I should choose to run server side
>software on my web server, where I control the platform, in an emulated
>environment guaranteed to slow everything to a crawl? Is there any sane
>reason to choose Java over, well, *anything* else that's not running in
>a JVM?

The argument used by Sun is that Java provides a great development
environment, complete with ready made utility classes which speeds
development times. As I've said in another post, from personal
experience, I'd say this is just marketing hype without a grain of
truth to it.

I would say, though, that in some respects Java makes more sense on
the server than on the client because long running server processes
give the HotSpot optimzer time to do its job properly, and in theory,
long running Java processes should be as fast, or potentially faster
than the equivalent code written in C/C++. Although my experinces with
tomcat don't seem to bear that out, it is in theory still true.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk