[Gllug] newbie/problem

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 19:54:54 UTC 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, David Damerell stipulated:
> On Tuesday, 10 Dec 2002, Dexter Casey wrote:
>>I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think installation is a
>>good learning process.  If you plan things carefully you can learn from
>>it.  Just do the whole thing again.  Their are ways around this as
>>others have suggested but I would advise you to just reinstall.
[snip]
> This is about equivalent to buying a new car because you locked your
> keys in the glove compartment.

Not only is it overkill, but a reinstall doesn't teach you anything
about what went wrong, how to fix it *without* a reinstall or anything
else. If you have to work out a way to fix it without reinstalling
then you have to learn more to do that.

I find that I learn a lot every time something goes catastrophically
wrong :)

--
`Ah, but don't you feel the jackboot of state oppression whenever you have
 to deal with the uniformed storm-troopers of government bureaucracy, viz.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk