[Gllug] newbie/problem

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 21:42:59 UTC 2002

Nix wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, David Damerell stipulated:
>
>>On Tuesday, 10 Dec 2002, Dexter Casey wrote:
>>
>>>I know this is not what you want to hear, but I think installation is a
>>>good learning process.  If you plan things carefully you can learn from
>>>it.  Just do the whole thing again.  Their are ways around this as
>>>others have suggested but I would advise you to just reinstall.
>
> [snip]
>
>>This is about equivalent to buying a new car because you locked your
>>keys in the glove compartment.
>

> Not only is it overkill, but a reinstall doesn't teach you anything
> about what went wrong, how to fix it *without* a reinstall or anything
> else. If you have to work out a way to fix it without reinstalling
> then you have to learn more to do that.
While I agree that it would provide a great learning experience, It is
not a great introduction for a newbie to Linux.  The vast majority of
installs that I do go without a glitch.

I would rather start again rather than be hunting down problems for the
next six months rather than having a good stable usable system.

In short I agree and disagree. :-)

Kind regards
Xander

--
Q:	What's the difference between a Mac and an Etch-a-Sketch?
A:	You don't have to shake the Mac to clear the screen.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk