[Gllug] Certification?

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Fri Dec 6 10:21:21 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 06, 2002 at 10:08:44AM +0000, Ivan Virgili wrote:
> It will be quite a long email, but I have to make a decision that is very
> important for me and I need a bit of help/advice.
>
> I have been in London for two years and it is time for me to look for
> another job.
>
> The company I work for (an American company that deals with B2B eCommerce)
> has recently made 36 people in my department redundant (there are only 6 of
> us left) and it might decide to close the department completely in the near
> future (the
> American office would look after the European customers).
>
> I realise that this is not a very good economic period, but I have to look
> for a new job and I would like to look for a more technical one.
>
> I have been dealing with computers for 14 years now (I am 30), but most of
> my experience was gained in Italy (I am Italian).
>
> Apparently companies in UK do not take that experience in account when they
> evaluate my CV (that's what I was told).

Rubbish - but you must get the CV looking right & have the relevant factors nice & big.
Some nice recent tips:
	http://www.theopenenterprise.com/story/TOE20021202S0001

> I therefore thought to get a certification to support/validate my experience.
Won't do any harm -- can you get your current employer to pay for it ?

> I was thinking of doing a RHCT course/exam, but it costs a lot of money and
> I was
> wondering if you could tell me what you think about it (not only about the
> exam, but also about the idea of getting a certification).
Education never hurt anyone. Whether it will get you a job is a difficult judgement.

Look at your market place. How can you make youself 'attractive' to potential employers ?
If a beauty sticker in the form of a certificate would help - go for it.
If you have lots of relevant experience, that will probably count for more - but
depends on the employer.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>