[Gllug] Certification?

Ivan Virgili ivnmad at hotpop.com
Fri Dec 6 10:08:44 UTC 2002

It will be quite a long email, but I have to make a decision that is very
important for me and I need a bit of help/advice.

I have been in London for two years and it is time for me to look for
another job.

The company I work for (an American company that deals with B2B eCommerce)
has recently made 36 people in my department redundant (there are only 6 of
us left) and it might decide to close the department completely in the near
future (the
American office would look after the European customers).

I realise that this is not a very good economic period, but I have to look
for a new job and I would like to look for a more technical one.

I have been dealing with computers for 14 years now (I am 30), but most of
my experience was gained in Italy (I am Italian).

Apparently companies in UK do not take that experience in account when they
evaluate my CV (that's what I was told).

I have got a lot of experience with hardware, all the MS OS (from Dos to XP)
and many different software.

I therefore thought to get a certification to support/validate my experience.

I don't want to get a MCSA certificate and I would like to get Linux one (I
am still a newbie, but I am getting more confident with it and I will study
and practice a lot in the next few weeks).

I was thinking of doing a RHCT course/exam, but it costs a lot of money and
I was
wondering if you could tell me what you think about it (not only about the
exam, but also about the idea of getting a certification).

I could also do a LPI exam and study on my own. It would be cheaper and I
would get a more "generic" certificate (no connection with a specific distro).

Thank you all for your help.

Ciao... Ivan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk