[Gllug] Will external CD/DVD-writers work with Knoppix?

Garry Heaton garry at heaton6.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 21:54:58 UTC 2002

I'm considering buying an external CD-writer or maybe a DVD-writer and
have 2 questions:

1. Can external CD-writers and external DVD-writers be accessed via
Knoppix or any similar ramdrive Linux/BSD distros for the purpose of
data recovery/backup or do these devices require software which
typically only runs on Windows?

2. If these devices can be accessed via such a distribution is there any
 OS CD/DVD-burning software available which can be run from the
command-line? The reason I would like to be able to recover/backup data
on machines which have less than the 87Mb RAM required by Knoppix to run
with a window manager. Knoppix is capable of running with only 12Mb RAM
in command-line mode.

Any recommendations for Linux/Knoppix friendliness?

Garry Heaton

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk