[Gllug] Will external CD/DVD-writers work with Knoppix?

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Wed Dec 18 22:20:17 UTC 2002

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Garry Heaton wrote:

> 2. If these devices can be accessed via such a distribution is there any
>  OS CD/DVD-burning software available which can be run from the
> command-line? The reason I would like to be able to recover/backup data
> on machines which have less than the 87Mb RAM required by Knoppix to run

Maybe have a look at Mondo Rescue?
http://www.microwerks.net/~hugo/

There are dpgs available.

But I DO hate to be sarcastic (really).
Why are yobacking up data on machines booted by Knoppix?
If it is user data, or user home directories,
why not have a central server and NFS moun the user dirs?
The install a hard-disk based distro on the server and back up.
Then again - you know what you are trying to achieve, not me!

John H

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk