[Gllug] ISO 2-character country codes.

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 31 18:44:05 UTC 2002

On Tue 31 Dec, Andrew Black (li) wrote:

> >    I could never remember whether the ISO code for the British Isles
> should
> > be GB or UK, so I did a Google search, and found both listed, one as
> "Great
> > Britain (UK)", the other as "United Kingdom". I am only trying to set up
> > Debian for a friend, and it asked for the code so that the box was correct
> > for use with ISDN. The friend only has a dial-up modem, but I decided I
> > should get it correct anyway. I suspect that different applications may
> > require different answers.
>
> The country code is GB and the currency is GBP.   I would regard a reference
> from ISO's web site to be reliable.
> http://www.iso.ch/iso/en/prods-services/iso3166ma/02iso-3166-code-lists/list
> -en1.html

   It does seem that GB is correct, UK is reserved with restrictions, IR is
Ireland (but it may not differentiate between North and South), IM is
reserved for the Isle of Man, IC is reserved for the Canary Islands, while
Cornwall, Orkney, Scotland, Shetland, and Wales have not yet gained their
independance.
   That said, I am sure that I have entered GB before and some packages have
not recognised it.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk