[Gllug] ISO 2-character country codes.

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Tue Dec 31 14:27:02 UTC 2002

In message <1041329943.5543.18.camel at allenlinux.isa>, Allen Baranov
<allen at isa.co.za> writes
>Hi,
>
>GB is correct.
>
>All the top level domains are based on the country's ISO code. So, South
>Africa has country code ZA and TLD .za. This is true for all countries
>except the USA which has .us but doesn't use it very extensively - note
>.net, .org .com. And the United Kingdom/Great Briton which has the ISO
>country code GB and the TLD .uk.

The ISO code UK refers to the Ukraine. The top-level domains and ISO
postal codes are not identical.

>Of course now that that little bit of confusion has been introduced
>software manufactures/coders may incorrectly use "uk" in place of "gb".
>
>What is the United Kingdom anyway..and what is Great Briton? AFAIK one
>includes North Ireland and the other doesn't.

Britain, Great Britain and the United Kingdom are slightly different
entities. The definitions may depend on whether you are talking about
political or physical geography. Explaining the difference would require
me to summarise the last 2500 years of British and Irish political
history. Different people might give you different (but completely
correct) definitions depending on exactly where and when they were born.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com
www.diversebooks.com: SF & Computing book reviews and more.....