[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Chris Wareham chris.wareham at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 11 23:19:26 UTC 2002

Richard Cottrill wrote:
> My 2c
>
> I looked at gcc + Java and found there were too many caveats for me to be
> comfortable with it. It's been a while, so others may have more useful
> comments, but my mental note on the topic is "work in progress - may be
> useful in some specific cases"

My 2 cents on gcj ...

Java is a great language regardless of the write once, run anywhere
ideal of the virtual machine. If Sun had put some work into a compiler
that produced native binaries as well as bytecode then they would have
probably made massive inroads into the popularity of C++ by now.
Consequently, I really hope that one day gcj and Classpath become
usable, then I can switch more of my coding energy from C to Java.

Chris
--
glutinous glop in your galligaskins
http://www.btinternet.com/~chris.wareham/