[Gllug] Cheapest possible diskless nodes

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Fri Dec 13 10:11:26 UTC 2002

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002, Matthew Allum wrote:

> Yep :-)
>
> > Did you get yours through mini-itx.com?
> >

> http://linitx.com/
>
> I ordered a IDE-CF Card adaptor from here too for it.

Oooh. These things look pretty nice.
I was looking to set up an AMD based 4-node cluster, just for
experimenting with cluster install tools and (maybe) IP over
Firewire.
But given the space available these small systems look sweet :-)

> I have mine plugged up to the TV. Its pretty nice.

I see they can take a PCI card - so you could add a TV tuner card,
and maybe make a Linux-based Personal Video Recorder. Mmmm...

On a mad impulse I bought a Hauppauge Nova-T box in Dixons on Saturday,
which receives the Freeview terrestrial digital channels.
I thought it was supported under Linux - turns out I think I should
have got the PCI card, rather than the USB version I bought.
But, well, you know what its like when the shiny toys say "Buy me! Buy
me!"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk