[Gllug] machine load testing

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Dec 2 17:56:06 UTC 2002

Andrew Halliwell wrote:

> adjust the -j to taste depending on memory. 10 is about right to push the
> ram past 128meg. 20 should be enough for quite a lot, 30 is getting to the
> point where ulimits get in the way.

Just for fun I tried the kernel thing anyhow, I started at -j 10 and it
wasn't very exciting, then -j 15, 20 30 and I got bored so I just tried
a make -j 50 bzImage and managed to get the load average to 51.46. The
box still didn't swap though, so it didn't really hammer the machine
enough I feel.

What I may have to do to really make it hurt is NFS mount one of its
disks and run bonnie on it over NFS (this is something I did accidentaly
once on a fileserver...) while building a kernel with make -j 50 =)

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk