[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 18 23:25:24 UTC 2002

On 16 Dec 2002, Simon A. Boggis moaned:
> On Mon, 2002-12-16 at 16:03, Tethys wrote:
>> >Allow me to introduce you to ``Enlightenment''.
>>
>> We've already met, but even accounting for that:
>>
>>   PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS COMMAND
>>  1172  0.4  2.8 99168 14560 X
>>  1410  0.0  0.6  5968 3516 enlightenment
>
> Doesn't the VSZ include the memory wired into your graphics card [1]

Yes, but not even I have a gigabyte of memory on my graphics card!
(In fact I have only 4Mb on there.)

I was Ghostscripting a GraphViz-generated PostScript file that consisted
of a single page about 40000 points on a side (it was a *big* graph).

GV allocates a single big pixmap for the entire Ghostscript-rendered
client area (or, configurably, gets the X server to allocate a single
big backing pixmap itself).

In both cases that immense pixmap is stored in the X server. Welcome to
the world of gigabyte X servers. (On IA32!) :)

--
`I was thinking of the legendary British Weather, with the four seasons
 of winter, mud, rain, and damp.' --- Peter da Silva

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk