[Gllug] x2x and xinerama

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Wed Dec 18 13:44:50 UTC 2002

Hello.

My desktop machine is a dual headed G400 running Xinerama, with both
screens at a resolution of 1152x864.  My laptop is running at 1024x768.
Both machines are running Linux, naturally [1].

Now, when I'm at my desk I work with my laptop in front of my desktop
(where any sane person would put their keyboard.) I find the easiest thing
to do is to is control the desktop though the mouse and keyboard attached
to the laptop[2].  I use the 'x2x' program to do this.

The problem I've found is that if I use Xinerama and x2x at the same time
badness happens.  When I move onto the second monitor on my desktop
machine then the cursor  starts doing odd things - the mouse wraps round
wrong, and when I click on things the click is transfered to the wrong
monitor - all very odd.

So my questions:

  a) Does anyone know how to stop x2x doing this?

  b) Does anyone have any suggestions of better programs than x2x to use?

Thanks for your help.

Mark.

[1] Incase anyone wants the details, Debian, XFree86 4.2.1 on both

[2] I've found that the laptop keyboard doesn't give me wrist pain, where
any desktop keyboard I've used causes 'RSI' to flare up rather painfully.

--
  Mark Fowler
  http://www.twoshortplanks.com/          The 2002 Perl Advent Calendar

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk