[Gllug] newbie / modem

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Wed Dec 4 09:19:42 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, N London John wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Have read lots of stuff on the net about dealing with modems, but not
> found real recommendations.
>
> Can anyone suggest a decent modem, and where to get one in London?

John, this thread has come up a few times on GLLUG.

There are three parts to the answer:

a) you can get some winmodems working. Jim Bailey has had experience with
this. Jim?  But I would say that this is a project for the future - ie.
when you are confident with tinkering under the bonnet of Linux.

b) make sure you get a Linux-compatible hardware PCI card modem.
   Sorry - I can't help you here. I gather these are thin on the ground.

c) The best and easist way to get running quickly is to use an external
modem on a serial (or USB) port.  Yet again, my favourite shop, Morgans
have
cheap external modems. The brand is Tixi, cost 24 pounds.
http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/bargains/detail.asp?ProductID=705
Morgans also have 3Com PCMCIA modems in stock for laptop users, though
I don't know if these have Linux drivers.

I know this answer is a bit of a cop-out.
But trust us - 24 quid spent on a serial modem will save 24 quid of
frustration. And then you can play with winmodems later and tell us
the recipe when you have success.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk