[Gllug] newbie / modem

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Wed Dec 4 14:13:29 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 10:19:42AM +0100, John Hearns wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, N London John wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > Have read lots of stuff on the net about dealing with modems, but not
> > found real recommendations.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a decent modem, and where to get one in London?
> >
> John, this thread has come up a few times on GLLUG.
>
> There are three parts to the answer:
>
> a) you can get some winmodems working. Jim Bailey has had experience with
> this. Jim?  But I would say that this is a project for the future - ie.
> when you are confident with tinkering under the bonnet of Linux.

Some time ago for some deeply perverse pleasure I set up a winmodem and
ever since then John has pointed people my way with modem issues. ;)

My advice for winmodems don't they suck big time, go hardware and go
external.

> b) make sure you get a Linux-compatible hardware PCI card modem.
>    Sorry - I can't help you here. I gather these are thin on the ground.

Also you maybe sold a 'hardware modem' which in the words of one
braindead salesman.
"Yeah mate look it a hardware modem you can see the hardware inside."

> c) The best and easist way to get running quickly is to use an external
> modem on a serial (or USB) port.  Yet again, my favourite shop, Morgans
> have
> cheap external modems. The brand is Tixi, cost 24 pounds.
> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/bargains/detail.asp?ProductID=705

You know exactly where you are with an external modem, it is a hardware
modem and it is Linux compatable.  An external modem is also easily
picked up by automated cofiguration software.

I hope this helped you have fun doing it.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk