[Gllug] Audio conflict

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Dec 12 17:47:47 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, Dec 10, 2002, at 15:26 Europe/London, Norman Duncan wrote:

> Simon -I have no idea how to go about using artsdsp or esd..... but
> would love to try if its not too complicated.

If sound is working from KDE events (you know, logging in, closing
windows, etc) then the chances are that artsd is up and running. Open
up a console and type:

ps auxw | grep artsd | grep -v grep

just to check (Tet will tell us now that we're not meant to check if
it's running that way. :P ) If it is, then just type:

artsdsp realplayer

And realplayer should start up. It'll think it's writing to /dev/dsp,
but in reality, it won't be cos those calls will be handled by artsdsp
(and therefore artsd) And that's all there is to it.

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk