[Gllug] Bind Wildcard Entry

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Dec 11 17:36:38 UTC 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Jason Clifford wrote:

> Before removing it make you you are *very* well aware of it's raison
> d'etre.
>
> It may well be that some vital kit without which your company will suffer
> it dependant upon it. At the very least you may find that some sites which
> you are unaware of require it.
>
> Once you know why it is there you can safely decide whether to leave it or
> to remove it.

I would also recommend turning down the TTL for the zone to something
short, like 30 minutes or an hour prior to removing the entry. Prior in
this case should be twice whatever the current TTL is to make sure that
all cached copies have been refreshed with the new short TTL.

That way if you do kill something critical then there will be less
disruption when you put it back in.

Good luck :)

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk