[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Wed Dec 11 17:27:15 UTC 2002

Dylan <dylan at dylan.me.uk> wrote:

> I'm not a Java bod (in the least) but isn't it more straightforward to produce
> a client-server app if both ends are written under the same system? I'm
> thinking of things like Java chat applets etc.

A "conventional" client/server setup would most likely talk over
sockets. That doesn't mandate using the same langiage or operating
system on both sides (think of the relationship between httpd servers
and web browser clients). For RPC stuff, standards like CORBA allow the
client and server to be written in different languages and on diffrent
operating systems. Calls can be made from the client almost as if the
server is part of the same process. I'm currently writing a system that
has a C/C   server backend and a Java client, using CORBA as the glue.
The clients can happily run on Windows or Unix, and I can knock up a
cross platforme GUI very quickly. Using the Java webstart thingy, I can
even have one copy of the client on the server being used by multiple
clients.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk