[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 00:02:38 UTC 2002

On Thu 12 Dec, chris.wareham at btopenworld.com wrote:

> Tet wrote:
> >
> >  ... I like ethernet. It's gives a nice clean solution.
> > The only setup that's needed is with ifconfig.
> >

> I've got a six million dollar question that none of the review sites
> has answered for me. What's the best router for BT ADSL if I just
> want one ethernet socket, no builtin firewall and no NAT/IP
> masquerading? Something like the following setup:
>
> Internet ----> [Router] ----> [BSD Firewall] ---> [hub]- - -
>
> I simply want something that allows me to stuff the BT supplied
> Alcatel modem in a cupboard, configure a simple router, and run a
> network of non-USB machines off of it.
>
> Chris

   I am using something similar with a temporary Smoothwall firewall, but
the router is still set up for NAT. There have not been any problems caused
by NAT so far, but I am considering disabling NAT and passing the single IP
address on to the firewall, so the router would then need to run with
non-routable IP addresses. I would probably need to revert to NAT to upgrade
the router firmware. There have been no connection problems yet with the
secondhand Asus AAM6000EV single ethernet router (Alcatel chipset) from
Solwise, but I would recommend the single high quality ADSL filter system as
provided by BT. Solwise can supply a replacement front panel for the BT
master box with identical spec to the BT one, which is far better than the
average ADSL filter).

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk