[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 15 18:25:45 UTC 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Tethys yowled:
> But by far the biggest problem with most IDEs is the lack of decent
> editor support[1]. I find that makes the biggest impact to my coding
> efficiency, and being stuck with a glorified notepad doesn't generally
> help.

Agreed; you spend 90% of your IDE time editing stuff or searching around
in the editor buffer, yet the editor has --- if you're especially lucky
--- as much functionality as pico, or maybe even Brief.

Just about the only thing that IDE editors *have* got is language-
sensitive tagging.

> [1] Obviously, I'm excluding emacs here. Even though I don't personally
>     like it, even I admit that it's a decent editor. And mail reader.
>     And web browser. And dishwasher. Breadmaker. Train driver. Astronaut.
>     Road sweeper. Tea maker. And pretty much everything else, really...

Memory hog --- although I must say that I've never driven my XEmacs into
the gigabyte range, as I did with my X server a few days ago.

--
`One could imagine the Known Net as a conversation between a sentient
 Ford Motor Company, the New Zealand government, Eric Raymond, and a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk