[Gllug] Newbie asks: how to learn?

Jim Bailey jim at freesolutions.net
Sat Dec 21 00:07:53 UTC 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 01:08:17AM +0000, N London John wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two (related) questions and a general query:
>
> 1: Can anyone recommend decent books on linux for a newbie? Nothing too
> high-falutin' (obviously) but also nothing too simple (I'm not stupid).
> I know there's lots of info available on the net, but I do prefer
> reading and referring to dead tree.

http://rute.sourceforge.net is an on line linux course from sub-basics
to simple coding and network admin.  It is also available as a book so
if you like it's style and figure you can learn from it buy it.

> 2: The more I'm getting into this linux lark, the more I want (and
> need) to know about the hardware side of things. And here, there's real
> limits to just reading about it - hands-on experience is definitely
> required. What's the best way to learn? Are there any decent
> courses/night classes in London on this?

A+ course work book concentrate on the fundamentals of hardware, though
the software side of things concentrates on DOS not Linux.

Peace Jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk