[Gllug] Newbie asks: how to learn?

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Fri Dec 20 17:27:53 UTC 2002

>> On 20 Dec 2002 01:08:17, John <northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk> said:

   > 1: Can anyone recommend decent books on linux for a newbie?
   > Nothing too high-falutin' (obviously) but also nothing too
   > simple (I'm not stupid). I know there's lots of info available
   > on the net, but I do prefer reading and referring to dead tree.

O'Reilly have recently released the third edition of _Unix Power Tools_.
The blurb (from < http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/upt3/ >):

   The latest edition of this best-selling favorite is loaded with vital
   information on Linux, Darwin, and BSD. Unix Power Tools 3rd Edition
   now offers more coverage of bash, zsh, and other new shells, along
   with discussions about modern utilities and applications. Several
   sections focus on security and Internet access. There is a new
   chapter on access to Unix from Windows, and expanded coverage of
   software installation and packaging, as well as basic information on
   Perl and Python.

Looks ideal.  I'd imagine it's not impossible to get into (but quite
challenging) for a newbie, and very rewarding if you can get there.

   > The problem I'm running into, is how to make sense of all the (vast
   > quantities of) information out there?

There are a couple of sites trying to aggregate Linux documentation,
like the HOWTOs at < http://en.tldp.org/FAQ/ >.

Hope this helps,

- Chris.
--