[Gllug] Debian install from a SCSI CD-R drive

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Mon Dec 30 18:14:29 UTC 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-29 at 01:19, rich at annexia.org wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 01:02:28AM +0000, Stig Brautaset wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I was doing before. I just couldn't believe that
> apt didn't update the kernel automatically (it does everything else!).

I'd rather that than the situation mandrake has ended up in, where they
automatically update to a kernel which has the "EBDA too big" problem,
rendering a lot of their customers' machines useless without a boot disk
and a lot of clue.

> Actually this server install isn't going very smoothly. It's got
> two 40 GB drives in it - I was planning on RAIDing them together
> for the data storage because I don't trust drives these days. However
> the BIOS is circa '98 and appears to hang when trying to detect
> the drives. I'm not sure if the crash is related to the size of the
> drives or not. Anyway, this is no problem as far as Linux is
> concerned ... except for one 'minor' issue I just realised - I
> can't boot the bloody machine from the hard disk!

You may need to pick yourself up a cheap small disk to boot off. :)

Pete
--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/