[Gllug] machine load testing

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Dec 2 16:14:59 UTC 2002

David Damerell wrote:

> On Monday, 2 Dec 2002, Adam Bower wrote:
>
> >That will only stress the cpu, and I am not convinced by the kernel
> >compiling route,
>

> Because you lack sufficient experience. Kernel compiles are notorious
> for failing on machines with slightly flaky hardware that can carry
> out their day-to-day duties without trouble, precisely because they
> can hammer all of CPU, memory and disc.

Au contraire, I have never found them to be a reliable way of diagnosing
these kind of problems, Indeed I have tried this before on known faulty
hardware and I couldn't get the machine didn't fall over even after
playing around with some of the options. Add to this that kernel
compiles can fail on known good hardware for other reasons that can be
difficult to diagnoses this would be using a square peg in a round hole.

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk