[Gllug] machine load testing

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Dec 2 17:15:30 UTC 2002

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed a new machine today which is a hand me down from
> another part of the company which has been reported to "perhaps have a
> hardware fault" so what I would like to do is really stress test the
> machine RAM+CPU+disk all at the same time. Does anybody know of a good
> tool to do this? All it seems you can get are tools that do each
> component 1 at a time, but i want to do it from just 1 tool.

Well... The way I do it is...
cd /usr/src/linux
put a copy of the distro's config file here as .config
make menuconfig
exit and save
make a small script like so

#!/bin/bash
while true;do make -j 20 dep clean bzImage modules;done

save it, chmod it to executable and run it overnight.

Some kernels don't like the -j there so in those cases you'll need...
make dep clean && make -j20 bzImage && make -j20 modules.

adjust the -j to taste depending on memory. 10 is about right to push the
ram past 128meg. 20 should be enough for quite a lot, 30 is getting to the
point where ulimits get in the way.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk